Saturday, June 2, 2007

The new cats are in!

So the two main ladies from VOKRA came by and dropped off a young mom and two kittens last night. All are beautiful white colored shorthaired domestic and very healthy.

The mom, I figure is less than a year old, at the most, maybe a year and a few months. She is very tame, yet very shy and suspicious of humans (me!). But she is ok being touched and will eat solid food. I'll call her Pipi.

Of the two kittens, one is very adventurous, while the other one tries to stick by mom. Why? They are both still feeding off her milk. The adventurous one, let's call him Columbus, will eat the solid food, while the other one, Snowball, doesn't know how yet. . They are both big, plump kittens from Pipi's breast milk and I figure that they must be 5 weeks by now.

When they first came, they were a little shy and wondering where they were and what was going on. Around 3am last night, the kittens were wide awake and playing with the toys and with each other and since then, they have been pretty active, as kittens are.

The mom is content to just hide in some nook and cranny and make herself seem as small as possible. I figure that she used to be someone's pet, raised from being a kitten but due to neglect or bad treatment, she has lost her trust in humans temporarily. However, she is quickly warming up as well and is sometimes seen walking around the bathroom where I have them.

And, I'm also sorry to say that, they all have fleas. It's not unexpected, it's almost a given that animals who have been put/left outdoors will get them. I noticed dark shadows running around in the kittens fur, so I went and got a flea comb today and pulled 10 fleas off them all so far. I don't expect the fleas to stay much longer, as VOKRA used some Revolution flea treatment with them, I'm just concerned about eggs that would have dropped off within the two hour minimum danger winder, if I have stepped on them with my bare feet and thus have carried them around my apartment. On the other hand, in the combing, I've been able to find fleas and flea poop, but haven't seen anything looking like eggs (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing, I thought they are supposed to be white and looking like grains of salt. I would have expected them to be abundant as well, but I've yet to see any. Perhaps, I've been spared the egg scare?).

Anyhow, I get the sense that the cats are still getting used to the place, which is normal. Give it a day or two and I'm sure they'll be happy again.

No comments: