Thursday, June 7, 2007

Everything I know about cats, I learned on the internet.

A little bit more about me. What I do know of caring for a cat? Actually, until recently, I didn't know much. I, like many people, just kept hearing that cats smell, are messy and leave fur everywhere. Today I know a lot about cats, although I'm far from what would be considered an expert. How many cats have I owned? None. In fact, I've never had a furry, four legged pet larger than a rabbit, and we didn't keep the rabbits very long when I was a kid (I have had almost every other pet as a kid though). My family just never had one because we were afraid of the smell, the hassle of caring for it, and keeping the place clean.


However, I've always liked cats. My girlfriends in the past had cats. I think they are cute, sexy, and deadly (hiyaa!). So when I found out earlier this year that I could foster kittens, I jumped at the chance.


How is it that I learned about cats? My friends, the internet, Google, and Youtube are your friends. Being a Sagittarius, whenever I become interested in something, I must find out everything about that subject, so I read as much as I could about cats on the internet and have seen countless countless videos of cats and kittens on Youtube. I did also look at a few printed books, but in my opinion, the information on the internet is a lot better and more accessible. Youtube is great to see other cats and kittens being cute. I love it when they meow and when they eat, but that's just me.


In fact, here is one of my favorite videos from Youtube:




Almost every major cat problem or behavior is covered on the internet, and from reputable sources in fact (I assume so anyway, it's easy to determine how credible a site is by the look of it in this area). Still, there are a lot of things that wasn't covered in what I read or that I didn't expect. That's to be expected I suppose, but I'm learning fast about the things that you cat experts take for granted and don’t write in books or on the internet.


The one thing I want to do if I adopt a cat myself is toilet train it. My girlfriend did that, I understand the progression to doing it. There are even products you can buy to help you do this. I just think that this will solve a lot of cat smell and cleanliness problems (now if only they could stop shedding).


These days, rather than reading on the internet, I sit and watch the cat and kittens go crazy.

No comments: