Monday, July 30, 2007

My Place is a Cat Factory! Accident Drama News!

So much has happened since I last wrote in here 10 days ago. I’ve been busy with my work, despite being self employed (or because I’m self employed? Hmmm) so I didn’t get a chance to write…until now!

I woke up on Saturday morning to Snowball, the 13 week old kitten biting my hand and fingers. That is new. Lately, Snowball has made it a habit to jump into my bed and then go crazy at 5am every morning, heh heh.

I did get Pipi spayed last Monday and I have already noticed subtle differences in her behavior. First, before she got spayed, she would yowl and was really moody and, I guess really tense/stressed. After I got her spayed and when I brought her back, all she did was sit on the horizontal scratching post all day and look at me with hateful eyes, as if to say, “how could you do this to me?”.

She warmed up after three days, however and now she is more mellow and more friendly. And also, she is more playful as she’ll chase Snowball around more. Before she got spayed, I guess there was point when she was really stressed. Like she was shedding so much hair that there was a round bald spot over the right eye and her coat was so thin, I could see the pink of her skin underneath it.

However, now, after she got spayed, her coat suddenly became thick and smooth as silk, and she is less susceptible to shedding. I guess the spay did wonders for her hormonally (does anyone know if the spay is a tying of the tubes or a removal of the ovalries/uterus or something else?).

And both Snowball and Pipi purr a lot now. Pipi actually came into my bed and put her nose against my face on Friday night, before curling up beside me to sleep.

AND, I’m happy to say that both Snowball and Pipi have been adopted. And what surprised me was that they warmed up to their new owner in a matter of minutes. It took them days to get used to me, if you can call it that, but in this case they just clicked. I’m sure the new owner will love having them around. They are well behaved, tame, and affectionate. In fact, I really think that they are not far off from some purebred at their behavior and appearance are different from the many other cats I’ve seen lately.

I didn’t really have a lot of actual experience with a variety of cats until recently (just the two my previous girlfriends had), but now I’ve seen many cats over the last few months (of course I’m still not an expert like the folks at VOKRA). I think Pipi and Snowball are probably the most beautiful cats I’ve seen so far, well compared the other cats. And as it turns out, they are on the larger side of cats, as many of the other mom’s I’ve seen lately have been smaller than Pipi.

Pipi is lounging on my bed right now, half asleep or bored. Probably both.


---

What’s this about a cat factory (see blog title) you ask? Well, as an emergency call to foster another kindle came in from VOKRA on Friday, I had to accept. This time it was five 7 week old kittens, all from the same mom, and likely from three or four dads.

They are all cute, and small, yet well fed and plump kittens. Not afraid of humans, as I’m sure the previous foster played with them a lot. I will call these guys the Alley Cat gang, not because they are dirty or anything like that, but because they are feisty!

I’ll be writing about these very shortly as I’ve already determined a lot about their individual personalities. One thing that is interesting to me is that when Columbus and Snowball were the same age, they were much much smaller than this latest kindle. I guess the two are genetically made out to grow faster or larger.


DRAMA! THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN AN ACCIDENT!!!

Yes, I’ve had the kittens for three days and already there has been an accident. Early this afternoon, I was in my room thinking of what to write for this blog (ironic isn’t it) when I heard a large crash and then see the littlest of the kittens (named Georgia) run to the washroom leaving drops of blog from it’s face. My first thought was that the book case fell on it and I immediately called VOKRA to seek instructions. I sped him to the vet and waited for the news.

It turns out that the kitten had broken its nose, but will be ok.

That’s good. I honestly thought little Georgia was going to the scratching post in the sky, if you know what I mean, and I felt helpless and terrible as he was under my responsibility. I guess I was a little shaken, but I’m told that kittens get into accidents all the time in kitten season.

Here is what we surmised happened. These cats are jumpers, which I didn’t expect them to be, they being 7 weeks old and the previous kittens not being able to jump (white kittens can’t jump?) at all. I had poorly balanced half a flat of Felidae cat food with a pile of library books on it on the edge of a table (yes, so stupid of me). I think one of the other kittens jumped on the stack of books and it came crashing down to where little Georgia happen to be. Little Georgia was able to dodge most of it but a single can probably glazed her nose on the way down, thus giving him a world of hurt. It makes sense as if more stuff landed on her (the books wouldn’t hurt her, they weren’t heavy, but the many cans…ouch), perhaps she’d be in kitten heaven right now. But then, cats are quite agile so I guess he used up one of his nine lives today.

There is a lot more I can write about these. Stay tuned, or go to www.orphankittenrescue.com to look at the cats and kittens that are ready to go right now.

No comments: